FAI World Air Games
The FAI World Air Games is the premier, international, multi-discipline air sports event conducted under FAI rules.
It attracts the world’s top air sports athletes, all vying to be awarded the title of FAI World Air Games Champion in their chosen discipline.
FAI activities on the FAI World Air Games agenda include Aerobatics, Aeromodelling, Drone racing, Gliding, Indoor Skydiving, and Paragliding – to name just a few.
The aims of the event include showcasing air sports to the general public and attracting new participants, as well as promoting FAI events to other sports organisations and creating an attractive platform for TV, media and other external stakeholders.
Running since 1997, previous editions of the Games took place in Turkey (1997), Spain (2001), Italy (2009) and Dubai, UAE (2015).
The latest edition of the Games, the FAI World Air Games Dubai 2015, was organised by the Emirates Aerosports Federation under the patronage of the Crown Prince of Dubai, His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and took place from 1 to 12 December 2015.
The next FAI World Air Games will take place in Turkey in September 2022.
The best athletes of World Air Sports combine in a major event to compete, promote their discipline, demonstrate their professionalism and inspire future generations.
- Organise a competition of the world’s best FAI Air Sports athletes.
- Provide an exclusive and favourable environment for the Athletes, the Spectators, the Sponsors and the Staff.
- Provide world class venues, organisation and environment to offer athletes the best conditions in which to focus on their performance.
- Coordinate a major public event to demonstrate the professionalism, the capacities and the developments in World Air Sports.
- Promote FAI ethical values, such as mutual understanding and respect.
- Promote state of the art flight safety.
- Connect all the different stakeholders of the FAI.
- Inspire new opportunities and motivate new generations for Air Sports.
- Create a safe environment for all competitions and participants.
- Have a professional competition with clear sports regulations for all.
- Have a clear and transparent selection process for the athletes and judges.
- Distribute a Gold, Silver and Bronze Medal in each discipline to recognize and honour the FAI WORLD AIR GAMES’ best athletes in Air Sports.
- Assure Media coverage in all FAI countries.
- Build a legacy to assure the next FAI WORLD AIR GAMES by inviting future candidate cities.
- Promote FAI and Air Sports.
The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, FAI - the World Air Sports Federation, is the world governing body for air sports and for certifying world aviation and space records. The FAI was founded in 1905 and is a non-governmental and non-profit-making organisation recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
FAI activities include Aerobatics, Aeromodelling, Airships, Amateur-Built and Experimental Aircraft, Balloons, Drones, Gliding, Hang Gliding, Helicopters, Manpowered Flying, Microlights, Parachuting, Paragliding, Paramotors, Power Flying and all other Aeronautic and Astronautic sporting activities.