The World Games 2022: Drone Racing pilots announced
The names of the competitors selected for the Drone Racing competition at The World Games 2022 in Birmingham, Alabama, USA have been announced by CIAM.
A total of 32 pilots from 25 nations will participate in the mixed event which will have a single classification for individuals. Twenty men and 12 women will compete at the races which take part on 9 and 10 July 2022 at the 45,000-capacity Protective Stadium.
The FAI Aeromodelling Air Sport Commission (CIAM) is responsible of the athletes' selection and selection rules were approved by CIAM Bureau.
TWG 2022 Drone Racing Selected Pilots
The Men's and Women's pilot selections, as well as the CIAM Selection Information, are available in the documents section below.
competition format and rules
The competition format defined by IWGA for the Drone Racing event is:
- Mixed men and women event with a single classification for individuals.
- 32 athletes (20 men and 12 women)
- FAI F9U class rules applied, with 32 pilots for the elimination stage and a double elimination optional sequence
The World Games is an important event for the sports that are included and is a great opportunity not only for the athletes but also for promoting these sports to a significant audience which encourages funding at international and grass roots levels. The World Games is closely connected to the IOC and almost all new sports in the Olympic Games qualify through the channel of The World Games.
For FAI Members and their athletes, participation in The World Games, with its close links to the IOC, represents a major opportunity for the promotion and development of air sports in their home countries.
2019 FAI World Drone Racing Championship Grand Final, Xiangshan Ningbo, China. Credit: FAI/Visa-Matti Leinikki
CIAM President, Antonis Papadopoulos commented:
“At CIAM, we are very excited about this opportunity. It is the first time that an aeromodelling competition will be part of a such a major multi-sport event. Together with the Canopy Piloting competition, we are sure that FAI air sports will attract high numbers of spectators, and there is significant momentum within the air sports community in the anticipation of July’s events. We are ready for this challenge!”
The World Games’ CEO Nick Sellers is pleased to see this major international multisport competition going ahead after the pandemic causing event cancellations and vastly reduced visitor numbers:
"We salute the heart and spirit of every athlete competing in the Championship. The World Games 2022 will be the first major international sporting event on American soil with full venues since the pandemic. The world is clamouring to reconnect after such a tough time. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime moment for athletes and spectators alike, and we are so proud of all the great athletes we will have the pleasure of hosting."
TWG Drone Racing event dates 2022
- 6 July - Jetlag Day - Arrival Day for IF-Passportholders outside of USA
- 7 July - Arrival Day - for IF-Passportholders inside USA, Opening Ceremony
- 8 July - Model Processing Day
- 9 July - Training Day & Competition Day 1
- 10 July - Competition Day 2, Medal Ceremony
- 11 July - Departures
FAI and The World Games
- 7–17 July 2022 in Birmingham, Alabama, USA
- In total 3600 athletes will represent 100 countries in 34 sports at TWG 2022
- 2022 will be the 11th edition of TWG
- FAI air sports in TWG 2022: Canopy Piloting and Drone Racing
- FAI has been involved with TWG since 1997
- FAI technical partner Noosphere developed results management system
Air Sports at TWG video: